This is my first article, and I would like it to be special. That’s why I thought about what I was looking for three years ago when I started in this world. Basic information about digital marketing, and how to start in that sector, which looked, and looks, so interesting.
What does Digital Marketing mean?
According to Cyberclick “Digital marketing is a system that allows promoting the products or services of the advertiser online, through platforms and tools strategically and aligned with the general marketing strategy of the company”. From my point of view, digital marketing are all advertising strategies and actions executed on the internet and electronic devices such as smart TV or smartphones.
It is true that digital marketing has certain advantages over traditional marketing, such as:
- Greater reach: it is possible to reach to all the corners in the world, and therefore more people.
- Bigger segmentation: it is possible to choose better the people we are targeting, to do more specific ads.
- Analytics: it is possible to know the results in any moment, and changing the strategy if it doesn’t work.
But the best result will be obtained by mixing online marketing with traditional marketing.
Important Digital Marketing Knowledge
There are many people who only think about positioning or social networks when they talk about digital marketing, but there are more secrets in digital marketing. But although the final goal is to appear number 1 in the ranking, there are many factors that search engines take into account, not only those mentioned above. Therefore, I will explain several key concepts in this sector. There are 4 basic concepts, which from my point of view every interested person should know:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): it consists in the optimization of web pages in order to search engines, such as Google or Bing, show it to users. The goal of an SEO consultant is to be in the first position. The better quality of the web, the more users you will have
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): The objective is the same as in SEO, to place your web page as high as possible. The difference is that in this case we are paying the search engine to appear before. Although it does not appear before who pays more, but who pays in a more efficient way, that is, creating good ads with good landing pages, good selection of keywords and good segmentation.
- User Experience (UX): User Experience or UX is known as the process of improving the customer satisfaction. The user experience is increasingly important role in web design and SEO/SEM. The goal is to create the simplest and easiest web for the visitor, the more time the users spend in the web, the assessment Google will give.
- Usability Interface (UI): usability is an attribute that measures the degree of ease and adaptation that users have with the web or app. We say that a website has good usability when it is simple to use. For Google, this point is increasingly important for SEO.
Free digital marketing courses
When I finished the accountancy and finance degree I wanted to know more information about digital marketing, to see if it was interesting. So after looking for information on Internet I found some free and interesting courses. I recommend that courses to everybody as a good way to start in this sector. All the courses are from “Google Activate” and I have made those that I indicate below, and they were very useful for me:
- Digital Marketing Course: You will learn the basic tools of digital marketing. It includes contents on fundamentals of technology and the digital world. You will learn about SEO, SEM, Social Media, E-commerce and Web Analytics. The best course to start with! Course duration: 40 hours.
- E-commerce Course: you will learn how to create campaigns on Google Adwords or Social Networks with this course. A good way to improve your knowledge in e-commerce and analytics. Discover how to sell online and how to create campaigns on internet. Course duration: 40 hours.
- Digital Transformation course: you will discover all the changes that derive from technological advances. Changes that affect both personal and professional life. Discover the main areas of the present and future digital sector and the new professional profiles that are emerging. Course duration: 40 hours.
With those 3 courses I finish my first article blog. I hope you find it interesting and that it will help you to take your fist steps on digital marketing.